Schneier mentions a new “Citizen Counter-Terrorists” program in Manchester. The hotline asks callers 10 questions concerning their potential terrorist neighbor. Let’s see if I fit the bill.
- Do you know anyone who travels but is vague on where they're going? Check
- Do you know someone with documents in different names for no obvious reason? Check
- Do you know someone buying large or unusual quantities of chemicals for no obvious reason? No
- Handling chemicals is dangerous, maybe you've seen goggles or masks dumped somewhere? Check
- If you work in commercial vehicle hire or sales, has a sale or rental made you suspicious? n/a
- Have you seen someone with large quantities of mobiles? No
- Have you seen anyone taking pictures of security arrangements? Check
- Do you know someone who visits terrorist-related websites? Check
- Have you seen any suspicious cheque or credit card transactions? Check
- Is someone is asking for a short-term let on a house or flat on a cash basis for no apparent reason? No
Looks like I meet 6/10 of their requirements for being a terrorist. 60% isn’t considered a passing grade, in my experience. Take that, you pesky neighbors!